It’s always the little things that drive you mad, isn’t it?
While I was pretty much able to nail my product design in a few prototypes, the labels — of all things — went into overtime.
After putting so much work into coming up with My Brush Betty, the first ever makeup brush lady, I wanted to make sure we got the labels just right for the product.
At first, I had four labels on My Brush Betty — one on each side. That included a full color label on white BOPP on the front, and three other labels in transparent for her other three sides. Although I did try four white labels and it just looked silly.
With the pink mat rolled up inside the kit, you could read the transparent labels very clearly. When you remove the mat, you could see through the labels, which allowed you to see how dirty or clean the water was during shaking. You can also see the bubbles working.
I can’t remember how many proof-of-concept label versions I ended up doing, but I probably spent more time and money on this than I should have.
This was necessary because I kept changing how I wanted to say certain things. And being a writer for a living, I recognized that how you say things matters. So I wrote and rewrote little blurbs and clauses a-gazillion times.
One of my wise friends was insistent that I simplified the directions on the back. She ended up being oh-so-right. This is also why criticism, and listening to it, is so important. Because of her, I ended up with My Brush Betty’s mantra “Shake~Rinse~Reshape~Dry.” Which I’m super happy with, because it is easy.
Ultimately, I decided that I’m probably just going to have one cover label after all, to save money. Instead of four total labels, I will have one cover label and then a brochure inside the product that gives consumers all the essential information.
When it comes to labels, you aren’t just paying for the label itself. You have to pay for each and every application of the label, so it starts getting pretty pricey to apply four labels to each single product.
For a moment, I considered a wrap-around label for the whole product, but I didn’t really like the idea in the end. It didn’t seem to fit.
In any case, I’m showing you the four labels, down the right column here, for your enjoyment, even though they may not all get used on the final product.
The good news is that I don’t actually have to finalize any label decisions until after the Kickstarter is over!